In a nutshell – Get off Facebook and do something more interesting instead! The post to read if you feel like a break from Facebook.
I’ve compiled a list of alternative activities that do not involve Facebook. There are suggestions for connecting with people, making things, something that might make you laugh, something to make you cry, something relaxing and something to do outside.
Even if you try something else for 10 minutes it will give your mind a break from the incessant chatter that is Facebook. I use a browser extension to declutter Facebook but it still feels like I’m tied to it a lot of the time.
- Do you find yourself checking Facebook when you wake up? When you go to bed? At every break time? When you are waiting for something?
- Do you feel it is taking over your life a bit too much?
- Would you like to see what it’s like without it?
This video shows how the need to always be online shares similarities in the brain with other forms of addiction. It is important for us to break that addiction every now and then.
Before you start it is important to Facebook proof yourself:
- Check Facebook for birthdays and events for the coming 5 days and make a note of any important ones.
- You can still use Messenger without using Facebook itself if you have it as an app but if you use Facebook chat and will NEED to speak to people make sure you have their email addresses or phone numbers.
- Check your phone, tablet, camera and computer and make sure you are logged out of Facebook on each one.
- Consider using a different browser than your usual one for a week so that Facebook is not bookmarked. Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer all do the job.
- Consider blocking Facebook if you think it’s going to be difficult for you. Leechblock is for Firefox, Cold Turkey is a similar programme for Windows and Self Control is for Macs.
- Warn people you will not be around for a while. Make sure they can contact you if they need to, and you want them to!
You can do it! This page is full of videos, ideas and things to do that will keep you from being bored through the day. Trust me, you will not miss anything important by not being on Facebook!
Ignore all the invitations to share and like these videos and websites on social media! It will just get you back into the loop.
I am not paid to link to any of the sites or videos on the Facebook Fast. I’m linking to them because I personally like them and have got something out of them in one way or another.
Connect with someone –
pick up the phone and call someone in real life! Texting is good too. If possible arrange to meet a friend for coffee later in the week.
Something to make –
an origami box
Something Funny –
Something to think about –
why quiet is good
Something that might make you cry –
people who have less sometimes share more
Something relaxing –
Headspace have a free 10 day course that introduces you to mindfulness and meditation.
Get outside –
It’s easy to walk around where we live and not notice things that we see everyday. Try and identify a tree near you using this interactive key from the Natural History Museum. If you know all the trees in your neighbourhood find a wild plant you don’t know instead and if it is winter and the leaves are off the trees this site will help you work out what the tree is by the bark.