Scroll down to enter a competition to win a Home Hacks Kit from Sugru!
Before you throw it away….
Visible mending can be really beautiful and there is a whole website devoted to it – visiblemending.com.
Jen Gale has written reams about visible mending on mymakedoandmendlife.com too with loads of handy links to tutorials.
Things you can fix quickly
- Squeaky floor or bed – try baby powder or cornflour in the gaps
- Fridge running warm – vacuum the back of it and move it away from the wall a bit more.
- Scratched CD’s or DVD’s – try a little hair gel rubbed into the scratches. Wash off with water and dry well before playing.
- Seal up drafts – big cracks in walls around windows can be filled with newspaper. Scrunch up small bits and force into the space with a screwdriver. You can use filler to make the mend neater afterwards.
- Descale the kettle – squeeze a lemon into a half full kettle and boil. Rinse a couple of times before using for anything other than herbal tea.
- Sticky zip – rub a pencil along the teeth of the zip then move the zipper head back and forth to loosen.
- Sticky drawer – rub a candle on any areas that stick.
- Scuffed lino – rub with white toothpaste and a clean cloth.
Sugru is this amazing glue stuff that sets like rubber. The entire ethos of Sugru is based around mending, they say:
“Instead of buying new stuff all the time , we believe in using our imagination to fix, improve and re-imagine the things we already have.
If it’s broken, fix it.
If it’s not broken, improve it.
And if it doesn’t exist, make it.
Fixing is good.”
I used it to mend my teapot lid where nothing else worked and to mend an ostrich egg, as you do!
You can mend a lot more than teapots and ostrich eggs with the stuff and if you follow this link you get an Sugru Exclusive 15% off discount! if you use the code ‘LESS-STUFF15’
Find a repair cafe
If you can’t mend it yourself there is a good chance someone else can. Do you have a repair cafe in your area? They are run by volunteers and fix everything from kettles to torn jeans, all for free.